Sulfuric Acid Plant PCS7 Software Upgrade and Optimisation
The PASAR Acid Plant was identified as the main constraint to the smelter reaching production targets. The scope of this project was to re-engineer the existing PCS7 system to provide world standard operator tools in conjunction with optimised automatic control to maximise production throughput.
- Development of a functional description for the Acid Plant incorporating tailored process control strategies and new logic
- Development of new plant software standards and HMI graphics
- Complete rework of all existing logic
- Alarm minimization embedded into new logic
- Site installation and testing of software within 4-week shutdown period
- Plant optimization post startup
- Improved SO3 Converter temperature control resulted in significant improvement in acid plant throughput and allowed increased smelter feed-rates
- Interlock and trip diagnostics implemented consistently
- Alarms rationalized to vastly reduce alarm rate and improve operability
- Strong Operator acceptance of new HMI graphics developed using ASM principles.